- a list of words and, often, phrases, abbreviations, inflectional forms, etc., usually arranged in alphabetical order and defined or otherwise identified, as in a dictionary or glossary
- all the words of a language
- all the words used by a particular person, socioeconomic group, profession, etc.in full active vocabulary
- all the words recognized and understood, although not necessarily used, by a particular personin full passive vocabulary
- an interrelated group of nonverbal symbols, signs, gestures, etc. used for communication or expression in a particular art, skill, etc.
Vocabulary is the all the language and words either used or understood by a person or group of people.
- All the words that a toddler understands.
- The language used by doctors.
Why vocabulary is important?
A robust vocabulary improves all areas of communication — listening, speaking, reading and writing. It is critical to a child’s success for these reasons: It’s growth is directly related to school achievement. The size of a child’s vocab in kindergarten predicts the ability to learn to read.
Attempt the below english quiz to check your knowledge!
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words! This quiz is made to help you practice your vocabulary and improve it. Take the quiz and share your score in the comments!
You can try our other quizes here.
Follow us on Instagram