What is a Preposition?
A Preposition indicates relationships between two nearby words (between a noun or pronoun and other parts of the sentence) in a sentence and usually appears before a noun or a pronoun.
Let’s meet near the shopping mall. (Near is a preposition; shopping mall is its object)
Forms of Prepositions:
a) Prepositions of Place tell you where something happened. Example: We saw a movie at the theater.
b) Prepositions of Time when something happened. Example: We saw the movie at 3.30 this afternoon.
c) Prepositions also indicate direction, spatial relationships, as well as other abstract types of relationships.Example: Look to the left and you’ll see the movie theater.
d) Some prepositions are two or three word phrases known as Complex Prepositions or Prepositional Phrases.Example: He got the job in spite of his poor results.
Prepositions of time
In general, we use:
- at for a POINT
- in for an ENCLOSED SPACE
- on for a SURFACE
Look at these examples:
- Jane is waiting for you at the bus stop.
- The shop is at the end of the street.
- My plane stopped at Dubai and Hanoi and arrived in Bangkok two hours late.
- When will you arrive at the office?
- Do you work in an office?
- I have a meeting in New York.
- Do you live in Japan?
- Jupiter is in the Solar System.
- The author’s name is on the cover of the book.
- There are no prices on this menu.
- You are standing on my foot.
- There was a “no smoking” sign on the wall.
- I live on the 7th floor at 21 Oxford Street in London.
Notice the use of the prepositions of place at, in and on in these standard expressions:
at home, in a car, on a bus, at work, in a taxi, on a train, at school, in a helicopter, on a plane, at university, in a boat, on a ship, at college, in a lift (elevator), on a bicycle, on a motorbike, at the top, in the newspaper, on a horse, on an elephant, at the bottom, in the sky, on the radio, on television, at the side, in a row, on the left, on the right, at reception, in Oxford Stree t, on the way.
Now let’s get to the quiz and test your knowledge of prepositions of time.
Prepositions of Time
You can try our other quizes here.
Follow us on Instagram